> I'll be 100% honest about this show.
ChadFox
 Posted: Nov 6 2015, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Awards: None

I figured that I might give my own insights on this opinion without any bias.

First off, I'd like to mention that I LOVE the character designs of Ami and Yumi. It seems like they were given extremely cute and proper designs for a show, and I applaud this. However, I'd also like to point out that I ONLY like the character designs of Ami and Yumi, to be quite honest. The rest just seem like of bland and rushed to me. If you were to compare almost every other character to the main two, you can TELL the differences. Besides the exception of the main two characters... the character designs are somewhat poor. Sadly, even Kaz.

Second, I'll bring up the show's world. To be perfectly blunt, not much is known. How old are Ami and Yumi? They're fourteen, right? That's what they're assumed to be. The show sometimes make hints that they're actually ADULTS, but based on how the characters appear and act, it doesn't really seem like it. They still seem like teenagers. Well, some sources say that they're fourteen, so I've just been rolling along with that. However, if they're fourteen, shouldn't they be in high school? Do they have any actual friends? How'd they even become a band? Did they move here from Japan, or what? Where are their parents? What were their childhoods like? How'd they meet Kaz? Why does Yumi act gothic? Stuff like that. Well... the show basically never answers ANY of that. It basically just rolls along with what it does, and it makes things seem kind of... bare. The only literal things that I know about them are that they're in a famous band... that's literally about it.

Next, I'd like to discuss the show's pacing. It's WAY too fast! For example, look at the first episode. In seven minutes worth of run time, they show off literally blasting to the moon, them jumping out of the roof of a bus, and so on. However, I'll get to the direction and visuals here in a second. Anyways, the episodes are basically seven minutes long. Sorry, but when it comes to a story, you can't tell a story in depth in just seven minutes. Look at the episode "Yumi Goes Solo". Within a seven minute range, or perhaps even within a TWO minute range, the plot twists. It's too fast. I don't feel anything because I wasn't given enough time to react, nor set it up. Granted, if the episode were a full 21 minutes long, it'd be MUCH better with a bigger impact.

Also, did I mention that the show has some really dumb plots? Like... REALLY dumb plots? A microwave explosion causes Ami and Yumi to switch lives somehow. They fight an alligator. They go into the future to see that they're about to get captured. They shrink and are being chased by the cats. I mean, I'm not one to try and flanderize, but what does this have to do with being in a band? Freeing prisoners from a cell? Going to prison? I could go on. Granted, it's trying to pay homage to classic cartoons and such, but THIS IS A SHOW ABOUT A TEENAGE JAPANESE BAND, right? They're on two different spectra. Maybe this is just me, but I'd MUCH rather have an animated show that actually focused on the realistic aspects of a teenage Japanese rock band. To know about their daily lives and how they reached their stardom to this day... THAT would be a great show. Instead, we get a show where an extremely tiny manager adopts a dog that eats cat food. I don't know why he's short, but I don't like Kaz anyways, so it's not important to me.

Alright, I will admit that the show had some okay plot ideas. Koi Fish had something going there, in all honesty. So did episodes like Rock Lobsters, Helping Hands, and even something like Hungry Yumi had some good ideas in it. Unfortunately, they still were written in the same format as an episode with a bad plot line. I will admit one thing. Ami Ami is probably my least favorite episode of the entire show. Though, if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be... well... that's strange. I can't recall a single episode that actually satisfied my tastes... that's somewhat upsetting, if you ask me.

Is there anything else that I can say about this show? Well... I think the show could've been created as full 21 minute depth episodes instead of 7 minute cartoon parodies. I really wish the character animation weren't so sloppy, and I wish that the show could've gone into more depth with their backgrounds. I also wish that the characters weren't flanderized, like Kaz and Yumi. Ami isn't necessarily flanderized, but she was written VERY AWKWARDLY. In the episode Collect All 5, I cringed SO many times because of how childish she was acting.

Okay, so I bet with all my negativity of the show so far, why do I know so much about it, and why did I even consider joining this community? Well, to be perfectly honest, I will admit that the show really did have its moments. I can't say that I object to the idea of them trying to make homages to more classic plot lines. However, I can't really say it fits in a show that was intended to show off a Japanese rock band. That's just me, though. I first saw the show in July of THIS YEAR, but I knew about them since like 2006. I went nine years without watching it. I knew about them from their song in Scooby Doo 2: Monster's Unleashed. Great movie. I never watched it because... well, I was in the second grade back when it was first released, and I didn't want any ridicule. As a result, I never seen it and forgot about it throughout the years until some freak accident on a YouTube video revived that memory. I actually decided to just run through and watch the show this time. Once I did... I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the results. All this time, I thought that I was missing out on like the ultimate male FETISH, and it turns out that it was a mediocre show full of over-played animation and exaggerated gimmicks. However, I did think the show had its moments, like I said. There were some times where I thought that Ami's expressions or looks at points were ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE. There were times I even laughed at some of the cheesy jokes. So, it's not a terrible show to me. It's just not what I expected.

--------------------
Believe it or not, the show actually makes two references of Yumi pooping. Gross. lol
PM
^
ChadFox
 Posted: Nov 6 2015, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Eh, I guess I'll end on a positive note here.

This show has SO much potential, if you ask me. That's why I somewhat want a reboot. Not JUST a reboot, though. It would have to have more depth writing. It would have to bring Kaz back to regular size. It would have to slow down in terms of pacing. You know, stuff like that.

--------------------
Believe it or not, the show actually makes two references of Yumi pooping. Gross. lol
PM
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Nov 6 2015, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Interesting analysis.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Thanks, Shaddie-chan. My loving sister.
PM
^
ChadFox
 Posted: May 1 2016, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

I'll follow this up. When I wrote my initial review, I was looking at it from more of a "Mr. Enter" point of view, rather than my own. I guess that caused me to say things that I probably didn't mean.

I'll be honest. I truly did enjoy all of the episodes upon first seeing them, and I do watch the show still from time to time when I can. That is, on certain sites and two DVDs that I bought of theirs. It's pretty obvious that I was a big fan of the show in the second half of 2015.

I guess what I failed to realize is, not everything will be what I expect, and I should find the charm in what's there, regardless of whether or not it's how I pictured it before I witnessed it. As a show itself, it's quite good. It's funny, it has lots of good jokes, and it's very light in terms of heart. That's one of the major charms about the show. I loved it.

So no. Even if there's not much plot development within the seven minutes, that would defeat what the show's about. It's basically supposed to be light humor with a bit of cuteness, and that's exactly what it is.

I promise not to look at things from that kind of view if I can.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins