Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (46) « First ... 44 45 46  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> i_love_ami's Movie Reviews, Going from Video Games to Movies
i_love_ami
 Posted: Feb 21 2016, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Awards: None

Hey everyone, sorry this was late. Had a lot of homework assignments last week (one of which drove me to the brink of actual madness) and I was kind of burned out. Anyway, let’s wrap up this look at Season 5.

Today’s Review: Friendship is Magic Season 5 (second half)
user posted image

Canterlot Boutique: Rarity finally gets to open a branch of her shop in Canterlot. To celebrate, she decides to release a new line of dressed themed after the princesses, but her new assistant, Sassy Saddles, insists on only marketing and selling the one based on Twilight as her marketing research says that Twilight is the most popular princess. This results in Rarity just making the same dress over and over again, not being allowed to be creative. I like the whole creator vs marketing thing they have going on here (I half expected Sassy Saddles to say, “But the chart says…”), but I sort of found this one to be sort of… eh. I mean, it’s more or less on par for a mid-season episode, but I guesse I sort of expected more coming off the break the show just took.

Rarity Investigates: During a Wonderbolts show, Spitfire goes missing and since Dash would be first in line to replace her during the show, she’s looking a tad guilty. Rarity decides to take matters into her own hooves with this one and sets out to prove Dash’s innocence, noir-style. This one was a bit more like it. While not a great episode, it was pretty amusing. It pokes fun at some of the noir tropes and this is one where I found Rarity to be pretty amusing (she’s kind of my least favorite of the Mane 6). However, my biggest complaint here is that you know who the culprit is the second he shows up on screen. I get that the target audience is younger, but at no point does the episode give you any reason to suspect anyone else. Other than that though, it’s an amusing episode and I kind of wish this is what they returned with.

Made in Manehattan: The map summons Rarity (another Rarity episode?!) and Applejack to Manehattan to help Coco Pommel with restoring an old community theater. Hilarity ensues? Honestly, I found this one to be fairly forgettable. I know some people love it purely because Coco’s in it, but she doesn’t really leave much of an impression on me to begin with. This is one of those episodes that just sort of came and went for me.

Brotherhooves Social: When Apple Bloom starts praising Applejack as the most awesome pony in her life, Big Mac is starting to feel like he doesn’t really matter to her. However, when Applejack can’t participate in the Sisterhooves Social (due to the events of the previous episode), he disguises himself as her female cousin, Orchard Blossom, hoping to be part of Apple Bloom’s life again. Hilarity ensues. While most of the humor is pretty much your standard “guy dresses as girl and that’s funny” routine, it’s still pretty funny watching Big Mac try to maintain his disguise. However, what I like about this episode is that they acknowledge that Equestria is pretty progressive about gender identities without making a huge deal about it. Maybe it’s just me, but when most tv shows and cartoons do stuff like this, I feel like they constantly get in my face and shout “LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE WE ARE!” Here, they sort of off-handedly mention it like it’s a normal thing, which is how I think society should treat something like this.

Crusaders of the Lost Mark[b]: All of the kids have finally had it with Diamond Tiara’s crap. When voting for a student council president, Diamond Tiara loses to Pipsqueak by a landslide and gets chewed out by her mother. The CMC start to think that maybe DT might only be horrible because of her mother and decide to try to see if maybe they can make her a decent pony. I have mixed opinions on this one. While I like the idea of trying to make DT a more sympathetic character, I feel like it was sort of rushed and to be honest, it might be because Gravity Falls did the same thing with their bully character, but did it so much better in my opinion. On the other hand, the CMC finally got their Cutie Marks. While I’m a little surprised that this wasn’t saved for some season finale, I think it was a long time coming and I feel satisfied that it happened. Also while the episode does follow a similar formula to Magical Mystery Cure, I feel like the two halves of it tied together way better this time around.

[b]The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
: Pinkie finds out that Shining Armor and Cadence are going to have a baby. However, it’s supposed to be a secret and Pinkie must absolutely not tell anyone about this. This proves harder than expected as Pinkie slowly goes crazy trying not to say anything while constantly being exposed to baby-related things all over town. This is pretty much a comedy episode and while a lot of it is pretty hit-and-miss, I think this one’s good for a laugh, especially Shining’s overtly-excited reaction to Twilight essentially rebuilding his old room.

Hearthbreakers[\b]: The Apples and the Pies are getting together to celebrate Hearthswarming. However, things get sour pretty quickly when the Apples find out that the Pies celebrate the holiday very differently than they do. I like the message behind this one, that everyone has their own tradition when it comes to holidays, but I think they could’ve gotten it across without Applejack having her head so far up her own ass. I don’t know, Applejack’s behavior just seemed a bit off to me. As far as the rest of the Pies go, it felt a little too much like they were trying to make Limestone and Marble popular characters. It’s like they looked at the kind of characters that the fanbase loves and essentially tried to copy them. But in the end, I think this one was enjoyable, even if I have some problems with it.

[b]Scare Master
: Nightmare Night is coming around and in her haste to hole herself up for it, Fluttershy forgot to buy food for Angel. While running out to get food, Fluttershy runs into her friends and they want to bring her out to celebrate the holiday at least once. Hilarity ensues. I enjoyed this one. The highlight for me is probably Fluttershy’s attempts to scare her friends.

What About Discord?: During a weekend of studying, Twilight misses out on a whole bunch of fun her friends had with Discord. Due to the resulting inside jokes, Twilight attempts to recreate the events of this weekend in order to get these jokes. Despite being a Discord episode and having a decent moral, I didn’t care much for this one. Aside from a couple of moments (Orangeshy), I didn’t find it especially funny and much like Made in Manehattan, I found it to be largely forgettable.

The Hooffields and McColts: Twilight and Fluttershy have been called by the map to settle a feud between two families living in the Smokey Mountains. This proves to be a lot harder than Twilight expected as the families have been fighting for so long, they don’t even remember why they’re fighting. I think I can say I enjoyed this one. It’s nothing special, but it is nice to see that Twilight doesn’t have all the answers and is in fact capable of making mistakes. It has a few funny moments and shows that simply saying “you should be friends” doesn’t automatically solve every problem in this world.

The Mane Attraction: The famous pop star, Countess Coloratura, is coming to Sweet Apple Acres to perform a charity concert. Turns out, Applejack used to know her before she became famous. At first, it seems like Coloratura is a demanding diva, but it turns out her manager is pulling her strings in order to ride her fame. I’m not going to much into how I know nothing about who Lena Hall is, meaning I wasn’t hyped up for hearing her voice in this episode. Instead, I will say that the writers did succeed at making a wholly unlikable villain and seeing him get his comeuppance was satisfying. Also, for some reason, “Fernando” having me laughing harder than any other moment from this show, so I have to give credit for that.

The Cutie Re-Mark pt 1-2: After having stalked Twilight in a few episodes this season, Starlight Glimmer is back for revenge. Her goal is to go back in time to stop Dash from performing the Sonic Rainboom that lead to the Mane 6 getting their marks and eventually becoming friends. Twilight keeps following her back in time, but fails to stop her each time. This results in several bad futures where the villains from other two-parters (Sombra, Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, Tirek, etc.) haven’t been defeated by the Mane 6. I love the bad futures from this episode. Sure, one of them sort of renders parts of the first issue of Fiendship is Magic non-canon, but I understand that the comics have no bearing on the show. I wasn’t as upset as some people that Starlight was befriended in the end, seeing as how that is kind of the theme of the show. However, one thing that sort of ruined this episode was her reason for hating cutie marks; she lost a friend at an early age because he got his first. Really? That’s it? Unless it’s Dan, that’s kind of a weak reason for potentially ruining other ponies lives and dooming Equestria to several awful futures. I could maybe understand if she lost multiple friends this way or maybe she didn’t hers was as good as anyone else’s, but this is a little overkill don’t you think? Still, despite that one thing, I think this was a pretty good wrap-up and it was nice to see a finale that was actually connected to the premiere of the season. Well done.

Well, that wraps up season 5. There were quite a few I found to be kinda “meh” this season, but like I said in the first half, I think the good ones make up for this. Now, there were some hints that this possibly was planned to be the final season (CMC getting their marks, the royal baby and hinting that Starlight joins the Mane 6), but as of typing this, not only has season 6 been announced, they’ve already given us a sneak peek at the premiere (with a new character) as well as a theme about exploring the rest of the world (which might lead to some more world-building). However, I will admit that I am starting to get a little less excited for new episodes, so we’ll see how season 6 goes. Maybe the movie they announced will be the big finale and hopefully this show might end before it starts to go the way of some cartoons that have long outstayed their welcome (*cough*Spongebob!*cough*). Time will tell.

Anyway, that’s it for that. Join me next time for a look at the third Equestria Girls movie and possibly a story about how I sort of became that which I dislike. See you then.

--------------------
user posted image

"I am the Doctor and this is my spoon!" -The Doctor

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100...84908091&v=info
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Mar 4 2016, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Great reviews. biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Thanks, Shaddie-chan. My loving sister.
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Mar 20 2016, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Sorry I’m late again. I was doing battle with the most intrusive and persistent bit of adware I have ever encountered. It rendered most of the internet completely unusable for almost half a month for me. I think I’ve got things under control again, so I can continue as planned.

Alright, it’s time to wrap up the latest batch of Friendship is Magic. Before I get into this review, I kind of want to share a story with you. It’s a story about how I nearly became the kind of fan that I’m not too fond of. If you’re tire of hearing me justify my erratic opinions on Equestria Girls and just want to read my thoughts on the movie itself, just skip to the “Today’s Review” bit.

I’ve had an… interesting journey with the Equestria Girls movies. As I’ve said before, my opinion on the first movie has kind of… changed a bit. At first I loved it, but I think that stemmed more from the desire of not wanting to be one of the people who hated it just because it was a bit different. However, after a bit of time and seeing the (in my opinion) vastly superior sequel, my opinion of the first movie kind of went down to okay. It’s not great, but I wouldn’t go as far to say it’s god-awful. It was a vehicle to sell dolls. No more, no less.

Then Rainbow Rocks came out. As stated above, I thought it was a huge improvement. It fixed a lot of the problems with the first movie and even seemed to redeem the series a bit in the eyes of fans who felt betrayed by the first. I loved it (not in denial this time) and generally thought it wouldn’t get better. That’s going to be important later.

With Rainbow Rocks being a success, naturally a third movie was announced. The shorts started up and while they were fun to watch, I wasn’t particularly excited about the movie itself. Whenever it came up in conversation, I would always say that I thought it would be better than the first, but not as good as the second. I think after saying that so much, I started to believe that (bear in mind, the movie wasn’t out yet).

Well, the day finally arrived. I had to wait until that night to see it. I don’t get Discovery Family, so I have to wait for new episodes to go up on Youtube or Dailymotion to see them. Since this movie had a 9 PM show time, I was in for a wait. By the time it went up, I was fairly tired (from being up since 5 in the morning and the adrenaline high from Fury Road was finally wearing off). When I’m tired, I’m irritable. Then I kid you not, when I watched it with my sister, I started criticizing every little thing that displeased me (which was a lot in my current state of mind).

I was disappointed with this one and then went to see how the other fans felt and saw that everyone liked it and were even saying it was just as good as Rainbow Rocks (which at that point I had fully convinced myself was impossible). I went to bed in a rather angry mood only then to have an epiphany; I had become the unpleasable fan who nitpicks every little detail. I became that which I dislike immensely (don’t want to say hate).

After I realized this, I decided to get some sleep and watch it again in the morning. With a fresh and far less irritated state of mind, I gave it another go and found my opinion be a bit different the second time around. How did I feel about it this time around? Let’s find out.

Today’s Review: Equestria Girls: Friendship Games
user posted image

The movie opens with Dash gathering everyone for an emergency, which turns out to just be a broken guitar string. The others chew her out for this. Sunset begins to write to Princess Twilight about how things have been quiet, but can’t seem figure out why playing music causes them to “pony up” (I can’t decide if that’s sort of clever or yet another lame pun that hurts me). A mysterious person shows up and starts checking out the portal statue with a PKE meter. Sunset sees the mysterious figure, who escapes on a bus. The person is revealed to be this world’s Twilight (introduced at the end of the previous movie) and it seems she’s been keeping track of all the strange magical events happening at Canterlot High.

The next day, Sunset tells the others about the hooded figure, but they tell her that she should calm down, mainly because they’re not really up for saving the world form extra-dimensional evil again any time soon. Dash believes that the culprit must be from Crystal Prep, Canterlot High’s rival. Coincidently, Canterlot High is to compete against Crystal Prep in the upcoming Friendship Games. Crystal Prep tends to win every time. However, Dash manages to motivate everyone at a pep rally by pointing out that CH has manage to save the world a couple of times (I’d like to point out that only like 6-7 people actually did that, but that’s probably why I’m not a motivational speaker).

The school is ready to go now, but Sunset is still uneasy as she’s been given the task of making sure magic doesn’t interfere with the event. She thinks solving the mystery of why the other pony up might be the first step. However, she can’t seem to figure it out and the fact that Princess Twilight (I’m calling her that to avoid confusion and it’s easier than constantly typing human Twilight) hasn’t been answering her makes it all the more frustrating.

Meanwhile, at Crystal Prep, Twilight has made a device to find and study the magic from CH. She’s looking forward to the games so that she can study the magical phenomenon so that she can get into Everton. Dean Cadence shows up to tell her that she needs to go see the Principle and to give her the whole “you need to make friends” speech as Everton would more or less isolate her from other people. On her way to the office, we get an expository song about how Twilight feels like she doesn’t belong and that’s why she doesn’t have any friends. To be fair, she goes to a school that values individual achievement more than anything else.

We then meet the principal, Abacus Cinch (clever?). Cinch tells Twilight that she and Crystal Prep have a reputation for being the best at everything and CH might be a threat to that reputation. She wants Twilight, her best student, to participate so that the school maintains that reputation, on the threat that she might “lose” Twilight’s application for Everton. [sarcasm] I wonder if Cinch is the villain. [/sarcasm] We see Twilight interact with some of the other students, which gives us our first look at the Shadowbolts (known in the fanbase as the Shadow 5). In my opinion, they are the biggest missed opportunity in this movie. They have interesting designs, I like the idea behind them (sort of negative twists on the Mane 6’s positive traits) and the opening of the movie plays them up like their rivalry will a major part of the movie. However, aside from some funny moments and lines from Sour Sweet and Sugarcoat, these girls don’t really get to do much (hell, I often forget one of them has lines in the movie).

Back at CH, the Rainbooms are trying on a bunch of costumes that Rarity made. By the way, you’ll see the Rainbooms wearing a multitude of different outfits in the movie. This kind of amuses me as it’s like the animators heard the complaints about all of them wearing the same palette-swapped outfit and decided to fix that by making them wear several different outfits. Anyway, the Crystal Prep team arrives. Twilight gets a magic reading and while following it, everyone in CH welcomes her back, much to her confusion. While the Rainbooms are playing dress-up, Rarity ponies up and Twilight’s device drains the magic from her. The Rainbooms see Twilight and welcome her back, only to figure out that she’s this world’s Twilight. Cinch sees Twilight interacting with the Rainbooms and accuses CH of trying to “lure her away” because they were talking to her.

Sunset continues to get more frustrated about not being able to figure out what’s going on, but the others manage to calm her down. She starts thinking of a way to use the portal to contact Princess Twilight, but before she can, Twilight’s device drains all that magic from the portal. She tells the others that she believes that Twilight might be a threat. They try to confront her during a welcome party for Crystal Prep, but the other Shadowbolts turn it into a taunting. Pinkie, being a master at parties manages to turn the event around and people start getting along. This results in Twilight’s device draining Pinkie’s magic and Principle Cinch deciding to shut the thing down because she thinks any attempts to make the Friendship games friendly must be CH trying to “corrupt her students”.

We then get a montage of the first half of the event, an Academic Decathlon that will eliminate six members of each team and the remaining six will go onto the second half. The montage has some pretty funny moments and is set to one of the catchier songs (in my opinion) in the movie. Anyway, the decathlon with the Shadowbolts leading in score. In the aftermath, we see Sunset being cheered on by her teammates despite losing, while the Shadow 5 seem mildly impressed that they won.

Twilight goes to talk to Fluttershy, who points out that it doesn’t seem like the Shadowbolts don’t really work together and Twilight explains that it’s because they’re taught to only value their own achievements. Fluttershy cheers up and since this causes her to pony up, she gets her magic drained. Portals to Equestria start to open up and Spike can now talk. Naturally, Twilight is freaked out by this. Cinch finds her and tells her to use the kindness of the Rainbooms to spy on them and uncover how they’re cheating (yeah, she’s convince the only reason CH is keeping up with them in the event is the result of cheating) and threatens her again with the Everton application.

Sunset is now beginning to suspect that Twilight is stealing magic, since their magic has been disappearing since she arrived and because Fluttershy has actually witnessed it. However, they decide to put this mystery on the back burner when they see what the next event will be; an Archery, Roller Derby, Motocross Triathlon (what high school has the budget for that?!). The event begins, but Twilight has some trouble with the archery section. Her partner, Sour Sweet, gets angry and chews her out for it (angry Sour Sweet is funny) and Applejack, despite being on the other team, gets mad at this and helps Twilight pass the event. As you may have guessed, this results in Applejack’s magic being drained. This causes more portals to Equestria to appear and carnivorous plants appear. Dash saves the people competing in the motocross from the plants and now her magic is drained.

Things are looking pretty bad now. Sunset chews out Twilight for messing with magic while Chinch demands a rematch as she now believes that CH is using magic and trained attack plants to cheat. Yeah, she refers to the appearance to the plants as if it’s a thing that happens every day. And yes, she’s more upset about the fact that Crystal Prep might lose than the fact that some of her students were nearly eaten by killer flora. Celestia admits that this did result in an unfair match and agrees to a draw, but Cinch will not accept anything other than her school winning.

The final even comes down to some sort of flag hunt. Cinch, still convinced CH is using magic to cheat, demands that Twilight unleash the magic in the device so that they can use it to win. She even does this with a song, probably the best song in the movie. Cinch and the other Shadowbolts convince her to release the magic. Things go to hell pretty quickly when the magic corrupts Twilight and turns her into a monster. She starts ripping holes in reality, causing the two worlds to bleed into each other. The Rainbooms do their best to help, but can’t seem to do much. The Shadow 5 realize that they’ve sort of caused this and join in to help.

Sunset suddenly figures out how the magic works and pies up herself, looking an awful lot like God Madoka. She overpowers Twilight’s magic and, in a scene very reminiscent of the end of the first movie, convinces Twilight not to make the same mistakes that she did and that she can only be saved through the magic of friendship. Twilight returns to normal, the holes are gone and CH and Crystal Prep start getting along. Cinch will not accept this and demands CH forfeit. Celestia points out that saving the world was more important and her own students chew her out for essentially causing all this. She accuses CH of brainwashing her students and threatens to report them to the schoolboard, but they all point out how she’d sound insane if she tells them what happened (I guesse the rest of the world doesn’t know about any of this).

The next day, Twilight decides to transfer to CH and Sunset learns that maybe she shouldn’t rely on Princess Twilight to solve all her problems. The movie ends with Princess Twilight coming out of the portal (explaining she was busy with the Season 5 finale), only to be shocked when she meets her counterpart.

Why It’s Cool: I like this version of Twilight a bit more than Princess Twilight. I think it’s because Princess Twilight is kind of a nerd, she still seems like she’d still be one of the popular girls in school while this Twilight is a lot more socially awkward and has glasses. The animation continues to improve. The finale is reminiscent of the finale of the first movie, but doesn’t feel as “out of nowhere” as the first movie. Sunset has managed to finally establish herself as the main character of this series.

What I Didn’t Like: The Shadow 5 are a bit of missed opportunity. I have mixed feelings about Cinch as the villain. I get what they’re going for with her, but it feels a little too forced at times. There are times when the stuff about the games and the plot with Twilight don’t mesh very well. Unlike the previous movie, I only really found two songs to be memorable at all.

Do I Recommend? If you like the EQG series, you’ll probably enjoy this one. If you gave up on EQG and Rainbow Rocks didn’t redeem it for you, this one probably won’t either. As for me, I definitely liked it better the second time around. I have a couple of problems with it, but those are probably more like nit-picks. While I still think Rainbow Rocks was better, I still think this one is pretty enjoyable.

So that was the Friendship Games. While the series has improved quite a bit from its first outing, I think it might be time to bring it to a close. Much like the show it’s based on, I think it should end while it’s on a high note before it starts to stray into “meh” territory. However, as of typing this, a fourth movie has been announced and I guesse we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Anyway, that’s it for now. Hopefully my bad luck might be near its end and I’ll try a bit harder to stick to the “schedule” I set up for this (no promises because if I promise, the powers that be will make sure I can’t keep it). See you nest time.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Mar 20 2016, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Great review.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: May 22 2016, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Hey guys, sorry I’m late (as if I’m ever even close to on time with any of this). [excuse] I was kind of busy with my programming final (which was a tad frustrating), a couple new games and being indecisive about what to write. [/excuse]

Anyway, some time ago I mentioned that I’ve wanted to do a look at my top 10 Galaxy Angel episodes and I think I’m finally ready for that. It took me a while to do this because 1) there are a lot of episodes to choose from and 2) it took me a while to decide what order I wanted them put in for this list. Before I begin, let’s get a quick refresher on Galaxy Angel.

user posted image
So you know which who I’m referring to in this post, the characters are (starting at the top left): Vanilla H, Mint Blamanche, Forte Stollen, Ranpha Frambois and Milfeulle Sakuraba

The anime version of Galaxy Angel was the result of a deal between Madhouse (appropriate name for the studio making this anime) and Broccoli (the company making the game). However, the game was delayed and Madhouse, having only some images and brief descriptions of the angels, decided to make a gag series featuring exaggerated versions of the game characters getting into all sorts of insane and nonsensical adventures based purely around whatever the writers thought would be funny.

Now, it’s not a show I would recommend to most people as its brand of humor is very… I guesse Japanese is the term I’d use for it. It’s sort of hard to describe, but if you watch a lot of comedy anime, you probably know what I’m talking about. For me though, I’m glad I checked it out. It’s the kind of show where I can throw on a random episode (there’s little to no continuity or overarching plot) for a few laughs at the end of a rough day.

So, today we’re going to begin looking at the ten that I enjoy the most, based mostly on how funny I think they are. This will be a two-part thing because I do things in fives for some reason and It gives me something to post next time. Please note that I’m not sure how accurate these episode titles or numbers are should you desire to see them for yourself.

Today’s Review: My Top Ten Favorite Galaxy Angels Episodes Part 1

#10: Wandering Cat Food (Season 3, Ep 20)
This episode begins with Mint crying over the death of her cat. Milfeulle is also distraught as she’s lost her wallet. Fortunately, Ranpha’s been reading a book on hypnosis and tries to use it to help Milfeulle remember where he wallet is. However, it turns out the book was actually about conjuring spirits (I’m not sure how you confuse the Necronomicon for a book about psychology and hypnosis) Mint’s cat possesses Milfuelle. Whilst Ranpha waits for the second volume so she can exorcise the spirit, Mint gets to spend some more time with her cat. From this point on, Milfeulle engages in most cat behaviors (except for being a jerk) and Ranpha’s attempts to fix it resulting in everyone else getting possessed in the process, typically at the worst possible moment for them (like being at a budget meeting). It’s not as crazy as some of the other episodes on this list, I still find it pretty amusing nonetheless.

#9: History is a Princess Melon (Season 4, Ep 12)
In this episode, the entire cast act out the history of some galactic civilization. Every five minutes, there’s some sort of war, plot to overthrow the government, regicide and other such pleasant actions involved with the rise and fall of governments (some of them based on actual events). Most of the humor comes from parodies of historical events, a hero who never saves the day because he keeps forgetting things at his house, a prophet who keeps showing up too late to actually stop any of the terrible things he foresees and Milfeulle smiling obliviously through all the terrible events that she’s involved in.

#8: Hi! Crepe Jack (Season 4, Ep 21)
The Angels are on a vacation sponsored by their superiors, but it turns out that they’re supposed be undercover to stop a hijacker on a space equivalent of a luxury airliner. Deciding to get it over with, they knock out the flight attendants to take their uniforms and get to work. From here on out, they resort to tactics the more or less make them look like the hijackers (and highly unstable) and end up causing more damage and panic than the actual bad guy could’ve ever hoped to. The Angels are pretty over the top in this one, but it does give a look at how terrifying their antics would be to sane people.

#7: Extremely Fried Chicken (Season 3, Ep Special?)
The Angels are entered in one of those contests where you have to create a flying vehicle that’s powered by the pilot’s own strength. Through sabotage, the Angel’s vehicle is late, so Volcott has to try flying in a chicken costume (this goes about as well as you think). The humor is pretty much a series of running jokes with Volcott’s unsuccessful attempts to fly, the rival team being knocked out of the sky by the monster that lives in the lake and nobody realizing that Mint and Milfeulle have been constantly using their hair ornaments (unless those things actually are Mint’s ears) to fly around in this episode.

#6: Hitman’s Russian Tea (Season 4, Ep 17)
For some reason that’s never really explained, someone has hired one of the best assassins to kill Milfeulle. He goes undercover into the Angel’s base to track and study her, but starts getting along with her as they’re both on some kind of health food craze. However, he still has a job to do and keeps trying to kill her, only for her to walk away unharmed. He knows the traps work as he tests then on Volcott as well (who I’m amazed made it out of this one alive). As the episode goes on, the assassin gets more and more frustrated and the traps he sets for her get more and more ridiculous. Between the assassin’s frustration, Volcott constantly getting destroyed by the traps and a twist ending that explains why he can’t kill Milfeulle (has nothing to do with her luck for once), I think this one’s a good time.

Well, those are the first five of my favorite Galaxy Angel episodes. If you wish to check them out, you might have to go hunting a bit online. I know there is a U.S release of the show (all the characters have English voice actors listed), but I can’t seem to find anything resembling a full series or season set (or the description of the item doesn’t make it clear if it is the whole season). If you’re just looking for these particular episodes as opposed to the whole anime, I’d probably suggest seeing if there are any streaming sites that have them.

Anyway, that’s it for today. I’ll see you next time with entries 5-1, which manage to get more insane. See you then.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: May 22 2016, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Great list so far.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: May 30 2016, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Sorry, I’m a bit late on this one (curse Spring and the horrid allergies that come with it) and honestly, I kind of rushed it. I don’t really have an intro beyond that. If you want one, read the previous post.

Today’s Review: My Top Ten Favorite Galaxy Angels Episodes Part 2

#5: Pyuru-riku Magical Steak (Season 3, Ep 27)
The episode opens up with a new piece of Lost Technology (seemingly innocuous items with powers that range from making you lose hair to destroying the universe, depending on what the plot needs) arriving at the base. It’s a magical girl wand that supposedly can give the user real magical power, to the extent that wars have been fought over the item. However, the user must prove to the wand that they truly believe in magic. After individually failing to use the wand, the Angels (and Volcott) all begin working together to make themselves more like traditional magical girls; they practice their transformation scene, make Sailor Moon – esque costumes and even have an expository opening theme song/montage. This seems pretty down to earth compared to the previous episodes I’ve talked about, but what finally sells it is seeing the true power of the wand. I won’t spoil it, so you’re just going to have to take my word for it.

#4: Super-Spicey Kid’s Meal (Season 3, Ep 14)
Twinstar (the Angels’ rival unit) have returned with some more Lost Technology, but the drop-off counter is closed and Kokomo wants his parfait now, so they just leave it there with no note or anything. Ranpha happens by and takes it (because this one is a tray of sweets). The twins realize what happened, but arrive too late and find the Angels as small children (a baby in Milfeulle’s case). From there on, the twins are trying to keep the higher-ups from seeing the de-aged Angels whilst the Angels shenanigans nearly kill them. Most of the humor in this one comes from Forte and Ranpha’s attempts to “play” with the twins, most of which involve explosives and guns.

#3: Metallic-Rattling Mixed Juice (Season 3, Ep 24)
The Angels are on a mass date that Ranpha dragged them out to. She’s there to see her new boyfriend and probably needed to split the cost on the boat they rented. From that point, everything pretty much turns into insanity. While most episodes of this anime are mostly madness, there’s a method to that madness. This episode seems to mostly throw out that method in favor of whatever might be funny at the moment. You know this one’s going to insane the second you see the dates Ranpha got for her teammates; a drunk octopus alien for Forte, a terminally ill person for Mint, Volcott for Milfeulle and a rice cooker for Vanilla. From there on we get party game that goes totally off the rails, an overly-dramatic death scene and karaoke.

#2: Acting Angel Seafood Soup (Season 3, Ep 32)
Ranpha’s niece is dropping by the base to visit. However, Ranpha might’ve stretched the truth a little and told her that she was the leader (Forte is technically the leader). Ranpha convinces the others to play along, but we quickly find out that she may stretched the truth a bit more than that. According to Ranpha’s niece, Milfeulle has an IQ of 2, Mint was born from a pea pod, Forte’s breasts are planet-destroying missiles and Kokomo (one of the previously mentioned twins) is actually a little girl who was raised to be a little boy by pig aliens. What makes that last one funny to me is that his brother makes up a story on the spot explaining how it’s actually true. Most of the fun in this one is seeing just how much Ranpha has warped this girl’s perception of everyone and the resulting reactions.

#1: The Sign is a Bouillon (Season 3, Ep 31)
Whilst walking down a hallway, Milfeulle is bumped by a group of successful women, which ends up somehow killing her. To avenge her, the rest of the Angels challenge the group to a game of volleyball. From this point out, the rest of the episode is making fun of sports anime clichés, the Angels never actually successfully serving the ball, Milfeulle constantly forgetting that she’s supposed to be dead (I think she dies at least twice in this episode) and the other team just kind of stands there, pointing out how successful they are at life or how they haven’t actually done anything to the Angels at any point in all of this. I think this one is my favorite because it combines a lot of elements in the other episodes on this list (genre parody, nonsensical humor, slapstick, “normal” people reacting to complete lunatics, etc.) and puts them all in one episode.

Well, that wraps that up. Next time, I think I’m going to write some game reviews I’ve wanted to do for a while. Anyway, I’m going to take some decongestant and hopefully see you next time.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: May 31 2016, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Great list!

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Jun 5 2016, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Hey guys (all two of you). I set a sort-of schedule for myself for these reviews a long time ago (try to get one posted each weekend). However, once college started, I found myself being far more worried about my schoolwork and my preferred method of stress relief was video games. I’ve played quite a few since I started at HCC (quite a few of them being games I’ve had forever, but hadn’t played). Those games were like ¾ of the reason why I started slacking off on theses reviews. So, today we’re going to start looking at some of those games I picked up. There’s two categories I can put the games I want to talk about into (which can lead to me not having to decide which game to review next): Hack’n’Slash/Beat ‘em Ups and Steam Games that would Appeal to People who prefer “Old School” games (both of those are working titles).

Either of those would give me plenty to work with, but since I don’t want to bombard you with just game reviews, I figured I’d do one of them now and the other at a later date. Since I’m indecisive as hell, I flipped a coin to decide which I start with. And the result is… Steam Games that would Appeal to People who prefer “Old School” games (again, working title). Well, let’s get to it. Before I begin, I would like to note that while I refer to these games being on steam, they are on other systems, mostly DS. I just went with Steam because that’s where I got them from.

Today’s Review: Shantae: Risky’s Revenge (Director’s Cut)
user posted image

This first game is actually a sequel to an obscure (I think) Gameboy Color game. It’s about Shantae, a half-genie that defends Scuttle Town from monsters and pirates. Essentially, the story is that she goes through a bunch of labyrinths in order to defeat the pirate captain, Risky Boots. There’s probably more to it than that, but that’s pretty much all you need to know story-wise to play this one.

Anyway, Risky’s Revenge opens up (after a training segment) when Uncle Mimic (Shantae’s guardian, I think) showing off a rock he found on his latest expedition. When he breaks the rock open, he finds a genie lamp inside and starts warning everyone, Shantae especially, to stay away from it. Risky breaks in to steal the lamp. Shantae tries to stop her, but Risky gets away. Uncle Mimic tells Shantae that there’s still time to stop her as she needs seals from the three Barons of Sequin Land in order to use the lamp. Shantae must now get the seals before Risky does and save the day again.

The game is what the internet calls a Metroidvania. If you’ve played the side-scrolling Metroid games, you have a pretty good idea about what this means. For those of you who haven’t, I’ll try describe it in my own words; It’s a game with a sort-of open world, but there are a lot of areas you can’t get to at first. As you play through, you unlock abilities and items that allow you to get to those previously inaccessible areas. The game’s sort of linear, but there is a bit of backtracking and you’re encouraged to explore as some of those previously mentioned areas have items or secrets that can help you progress through the game, but aren’t essential to beat the game. That’s probably not the best way to describe the genre. If you want a better description, just google it.

Anyway, as you probably guessed, you play as Shantae. You whip monsters with your hair and can even do a bit of magic. Basically, you have to get the three seals as mentioned earlier. However, there’s a bit groundwork to do beforehand. This mostly involves finding your way to each labyrinth’s entrance and solving some sort of puzzle or completing some sort of objective to open the door. Once inside, you navigate through various obstacles, monsters and puzzles to get to the boss (except in the second one, where there’s a time limit instead of a boss).

As you progress through the game, you’ll gain the ability to transform into different creatures to navigate through the labyrinths and access hidden areas. The monkey allows you to climb along walls, the elephant can break through certain walls and the mermaid allows you to swim. You’ll also be able to upgrade your abilities at the shop, but you need to find magic jams (several of which are well hidden) to do so.

The world is pretty vibrant and colorful. Each area and labyrinth have a distinct style and no two areas feel the same. This is helped by the awesome soundtrack. The graphics look like this easily could’ve been on SNES and in a day and age where most AAA games are more concerned with making graphics as realistic as possible, it’s kind of refreshing. I think I’ve said this before, but I think I’d rather have a game with pretty graphics. All the characters have colorful designs and personalities that would fight right into a NIS game. The game also has a sense of humor. It runs the range between cartoonish to the kind of adult humor that would go over a kid’s head, but still make adults laugh. Hell, this humor I what actually got me to talk to people in town, despite there not being much reason to. My favorite will always be the little boy who says:
"Mom dressed up as the scary pirate lady for my dad. But I'm not allowed to speak of such things".
Another good one is when you have to return a puppy to its owner and refuse to hand it over, the little girl goes on this long rant that just goes on and on and just gets darker (in a funny way) as it goes.

As far as my complaints go, I really only have two and one is kind of nitpicky. The nitpick is that you can buy a move from the store. It’s pretty expensive and supposedly does a lot of damage, but it’s ultimately useless. It has a long build-up animation, which leads you wide open to attack and in the time it takes to complete, you could just destroy the monster with a few whip attacks. Okay, I guesse this is more of a warning than a complaint, but don’t buy it. Use the money on more important upgrades. My other complaint is that there aren’t any in-game maps for the labyrinths. Granted, they’re not super big or anything (the second one is just getting to the top), but it would be nice to know where you are and many times I’ve ended up going in circles.

Overall, I’m pretty glad I checked this one out. I actually enjoyed it so much that I actually bought the third game almost immediately after beating this one. The gameplay’s fun, the challenge is just right, the graphics are colorful and the music is great. If you get a chance, I highly recommend this one. If you don’t use Steam, it’s also available for Nintendo DS and on PSN. Oh, the Director’s Cut thing. After you beat the game the first time, you unlock the ability to play magic mode. I haven’t tried it yet, but from what I understand, it gives Shantae a different outfit (basically Slave Leia) and boosts your magic abilities, but you take double damage from enemies. It’s basically a bit of an extra challenge.

Anyway, that wraps up that one. I’ll see you next time when we dive into the sequel. See you then.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Mar 30 2017, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Hey guys. Sorry it’s been a long time, but real life often gets in the way (college, distraction via video games, having to get a new computer, etc). I’m not even really sure anyone’s here to read this, but I’m still doing this to give myself something to do today and because writing these sometimes helps me get my thoughts together and/or off my chest.

Anyway, it’s that time once again where I talk about my opinions on the latest batch of MLP: FIM stuff. Before I begin, I’d like to give a quick recap on what I thought of the previous seasons and Equestria Girls (EqG) movies:

Seasons 1-2: Love them, could probably count the episodes I didn’t like on just one hand
Seasons 3-4: Enjoyed them overall, despite a few meh episodes
Season 5: A few really good episodes, but quite a few I didn’t like or just found to be boring

EqG: Loved it at first, but brought my opinion down to “so okay it’s average” once the sequel was released
Rainbow Rocks: Best of the series
Friendship Games: Better than the first, but not as good as the second

Alright let’s dive into Season 6. To be honest, after the previous season, I wasn’t super looking forward to this one. Honestly, I think the show should have ended on either season 3 or 4 (season 4's finale would have been a great ending in my opinion). Still, I try to be optimistic about things and who knows, maybe this season will be a step up.

As usual, I’m splitting the season into two posts and I’m going to spoil stuff. Also, there’s a few episodes where I have quite a bit to say, so this might be longer than previous season reviews. You have been warned.

Today’s Review: Friendship is Magic Season 6 (part the first)
(had trouble with images, so there isn't one for this post)

The Crystalling pt1-2: The gang (plus Starlight Glimmer) are heading to the Crystal Empire to meet Twilight’s recently born niece and so Starlight can reconcile with her friend that was taken away when he got his cutie mark. Things get out of hand (hoof?) pretty quickly when the Mane 6 find out that the baby, Flurry Heart, is an alicorn and is having magical bursts. Meanwhile, Starlight isn’t so sure about reuniting with her friend. She’s worried he’ll judge her for the horrible things she did (such as brainwashing a whole town and messing with the timeline). Things get even worse when Flurry Heart accidently destroys the Crystal Heart, dooming her future subjects to frozen wasteland outside their gates. Fortunately, Sunburst manages to fix this and becomes Starlight’s friend again. I know I usually say we’re off to a good start, but not this time. I don’t think these episodes are bad, but they could have easily been separate episodes and not much would’ve changed. While I found Flurry Heart’s rampage to be amusing, I just wasn’t really all that into her side of the story. As for Starlight, I think I liked her better as a villain. Plus, I think reconciling with Sunburst should’ve been at the end of her arc instead of the beginning. Overall, for a two-parter, I kind of found this one underwhelming.

The Gift of Maud Pie: Pinkie and Maud accompany Rarity on a business trip to Manehatten (fun fact, I often accidently say Manehatten instead Manhattan now). Pinkie and Maud are doing some sort of gift exchange and Pinkie still needs to get Maud a gift, so she has Rarity distract her while she goes off searching for a gift, which leads to a brief gift of the Magi bit. Honestly, I found this episode to be pretty forgettable. The only thing I can really remember is Rarity’s Pinkie impression (which I thought was kind of funny) and a comment about Boulder thinking the stones used in jewelry are too snobby. Beyond that, I often forget I saw this one.

On Your Marks: Now that they have their cutie marks, the CMC have no idea what to do anymore. They try to find ponies to help out with any cutie mark problems, but to no avail. They try to participate in their individual hobbies, but that doesn’t seem to work either. Applebloom begins to worry that this means they have to go their separate ways and ends up in a funk. She meets a tap dancer she’d like to help, but can’t due to her depression and loneliness. After Appleblom’s problem is solved in one line (I’m not kidding), the CMC help the tap dancer overcome his stage fright and get his cutie mark. I like the premise for this one. It not only shows that kids didn’t just adjust overnight, it kind of ties in with Bloom and Gloom (of the episodes I liked last season) and has Applebloom deal with some of the things that she was afraid of back then. While I think Applebloom’s problem was solved a little too easily (so easily that it’s actually a bit funny), I think I can say I enjoyed this one.

Gauntlet of Fire: Spike and several other young dragons are called to the dragon lands to by the Dragon Lord to participate in the Gauntlet of Fire to see who will become the next Dragon Lord. Spike initially has no interest, but when he sees the teenage dragon from season 2, he decides to compete. Along the way, he helps the Dragon Lord’s daughter, Princess Ember through the competition. He teaches her about some of the pony values he’s learned in the hope that she succeeds her father and keep the other dragons from going to war with Equestria. This is probably the first Spike episode I’ve liked in a long time. It’s not the same paint-by-numbers cartoon plots we usually get for him, there’s some interesting world-building here and I think Ember’s a cool character. I think this is one of the better episodes this season.

No Second Prances: Twilight is urging Starlight to go make a new friend as the next step in her studies. However, Starlight is worried that everyone is going to judge based only on the horrible things she’s done. However, she does manage to become friends with Trixie. Twilight isn’t happy about this as she still doesn’t trust Trixie (I’ll address that in a bit) and is worried she’ll cause Starlight to slip back into villainy. Things get a bit worse when Trixie reveals that she initially became friends with Starlight just to spite Twilight, though she realizes that she genuinely liked Starlight and that her revenge just cost her the first real friend she had. Luckily, everyone has a change of heart just in time for Starlight to save Trixie from potentially committing suicide (I know the writers said it’s not a suicide attempts, but it sure looked like one) during her magic show. I have mixed feeling on this one. On one hand, it really did make me feel bad for Trixie when she drove Starlight away (which is an accomplishment as I’m mostly indifferent to both of them). On the other, Twilight comes off as a complete a-hole for most of this episode. I get that she doesn’t trust Trixie, but considering that she forgave Discord, Starlight and (if you count EqG as cannon) Sunset for doing far worse things than Trixie ever did, it just makes her come off as needlessly awful and clearly forgetting things she learned in previous seasons.

Newbie Dash: After one of the members retires, Rainbow Dash finally achieves her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt. However, things quickly go south when she messes up and the others start calling her by her old nickname, Rainbow Crash. This upsets Dash and she starts going out of her way to try to get a different nickname, only to keep making things worse to the point of wrecking a show with a dangerous stunt. Everything wraps up nicely once the other Wonderbolts reveal that they all have embarrassing nicknames based on past mistakes. I should like this episode. It stars my favorite Mane 6 character, she finally achieved her dream and I can even relate a bit to the dilemma from my time in the military. However, I don’t really like this one. I feel like this should’ve been something bigger for such a huge part of Dash’s character. In fact, I think this would’ve worked better if the issue was that Dash was having trouble flying as part of a team because she’s so used to being a solo act and keeps trying to steal the spotlight (or something along those lines). On the upside, Rainbow Dash is finally a Wonderbolt and I’m happy about that at least.

A Hearth’s Warming Tale: It’s Hearth’s Warming Eve again and everybody’s in the spirit of the season, except Starlight Glimmer. Twilight hopes to fix this by telling her the story of Snowfall Frost (basically a Christmas Carol, if Scrooge was also the Grinch). Seeing the parallels between her and Snowfall, Starlight decides that maybe the holiday isn’t so bad and joins in the festivities. I think this is one of the better episodes this season. Yeah, it’s basically a Pony Christmas Carol, but I’m okay with that. It was nice to see Starlight as a villain again (even if it was brief), I thought the songs were enjoyable and seeing Luna as a Grim Reaper figure was pretty cool. I think it’s safe to say that I’m probably going to add this one to my holiday lineup.

The Saddle Row Review: The Mane 6 are interviewed in for a newspaper about the grand opening of Rarity’s new Manehattan boutique. Rarity thinks things when smoothly, but in reality the setup for the affair was a nightmare for her friends. With all their mistakes and last minute solutions on record, they fear Rarity’s disappointment, but she’s fine with it since everything turned out alright in the end. This is probably my favorite episode this season. Besides trying a different format by using the interviews as a transition between scenes, I found this episode to be pretty funny. While the lesson is sort of the same as Castle Sweet Castle, I think it worked a little better this time around. If you only see a couple of episodes this season, I recommend this one.

Applejack’s Day Off: Rarity just wants to enjoy a day at the spa with Applejack but Applejack keeps getting held up by her chores. Twilight and Spike offer to do them for her so she can enjoy some time at the spa, but that still goes wrong as AJ spends her time fixing pipes at the spa while Twilight can’t figure out the convoluted instructions for the chores. We find out that Applejack’s chores take too long because she kept adding unnecessary steps to them to point where a 5-minute task takes up to an hour. I didn’t care much for this one. It feels way longer than it actually is (which is never a good sign to me) and I kind of found myself checking how much time was left in the episode. I also feel like this was an attempt to give Applejack some sort of strange quirk, but it didn’t really fit that well.

Flutter Brutter: Fluttershy’s younger brother, Zephyr Breeze has moved back in with their parents after dropping out of Mane Styling School (or something like that). Since their parents can’t (or won’t) do much about him, it’s up to Fluttershy (with some help from Dash) to get him out of the house and doing something with his life. This is another one I have mixed opinions on. It’s nice to finally meet Fluttershy’s family and we get a sibling relationship that isn’t as happy as the others. Seeing Fluttershy being irritated by her brother is a nice change of pace for her. However, I’m not sure how I feel about her brother. He comes off as an obnoxious d-bag, which I think was the intention, but he does it so well that I’m not really sure if that’s a good thing or not. Even when we’re supposed to like him in the end, I’m still annoyed by him. I will say I did find the running joke of Zephyr thinking Dash is into him to funny, especially when his mom thinks they’re actually a couple at the end (Dash’s face sells it).

[b]Spice up Your Life:[/u] The map calls Rarity and Pinkie to Canterlot where they find that, much to Pinkie’s horror, all the restaurants all serve the same bland food and have the same bland atmosphere mostly based on the tastes of one reviewer. However, they come across The Tasty Treat, which is the one dining establishment that’s different. The aforementioned reviewer refuses to eat at the Tasty Treat and without her seal of approval, ponies won’t try it. Pinkie and Rarity do what they can to get customers in without the reviewer, but this goes wrong as Pinkie advertises the place as it is while Rarity tries to turn it into the same thing as all the other restaurants. However, as customers try the food, the find it to be pretty good and some of the owners of the other restaurants decide to go back to what they did before they changed to please the reviewer. This one was okay. The message isn’t too bad and I like design of Saffron Masala. I don’t really have much to say on this one.

Well, that’s the first half of season 6. There’s a couple I like, but there are several that I either didn’t really like or thought were just okay at best. For the first half of this season, I found myself looking forward to new episodes a lot less than I used to and I don’t think it’s a good sign when I’m surprised that I liked an episode.

Maybe that changes a bit with the second half. I’ll see you then.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (46) « First ... 44 45 46  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins