Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (46) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> i_love_ami's Movie Reviews, Going from Video Games to Movies
Umimo
 Posted: Jan 16 2009, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

Awards: None

Your reviews are really cool! =D

and I agree with you about the Movie qualities these days...
especialy now that Hollywood admited their lack of criativety hahaha xD
they're making adaptions of all the anime you can think of o__o
and the results are terribly awlful! Dragon Ball Evolution haven't even been released and thousands of people already hate it (and they're right...=/)!

--------------------
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

ПУЛЯ В СЕРДЦЕ
МОЗГ НА ДВЕРЦУ
НИМБ И КРЫЛЬЯ

ОДЕВАЕМ!!!
БЕЛЫЙ ПЛАЩИК
ДУШУ В НЕБО
СЛОЖИМ В ЯЩИК

ОТПУСКАЕМ!!!

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Jan 18 2009, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

Alright, I'm going to stay in the realm of old movies for a while. Today's review is a movie created by Jim Henson and Frank Oz. It is a tale set in a strange fantasy world that just amazes the viewers.

Today's Review: The Dark Crystal

On the planet Thra, there was a crystal of emense power. But one day, it cracked, and two new races appeared. The wise Mystics and cruel Skeksis. The Skeksis drove the Mystics out of the castle where the crystal dwells. The Skeksis took control of the world and began to ravage the land. Now, they are a dying race, only ten left. Coincidently, the Mystics are in the same predicament. Both the Skeksis Emperor and the Wisest of the Mystics are dying.

In the valley of the Mystics, there is Gelfling named Jen. Now, the Skeksis are responsible for the genocide of the Gelflings and Jen is the last one. You can probably guesse tha he has no love of the Skeksis.

Jen finds out from his master, the Wisest of the Mystics, that it is his destiny to end the Skeksis control of the world (who didn't see that coming). After being told this, his master dies. At the same time, the Skeksis Emperor dies. The Skeksis need a new emperor. The two that want it the most are General SkekUng and SkekSil, the chamberlain. The two have a Trial by Stone (one of my favorite scenes) to determine who would be emperor. SkekUng easily defeats SkekSil and orders him banished from the castle. The crystal then tells the Skeksis that there is still a Gelfling alive. SkekUng oders his minions, the Garthim to find Jen and kill him.

As Jen continues his quest, he meets Aughra (don't know if that's spelled right) who gives him a shard of the crystal. Just as she's about to tell him what to do with it, the Garthim come and destroy Aughra's home. Jen escapes into the jungle, where he meets another Gelfling, a girl named Kira. Kira decides to join Jen on his quest.

Back at the castle, the Skeksis are having dinner when the Garthim return. When SkekUng sees that they have failed in capturing Jen, the Crystal Bats are sent to find the Gelfling. Jen and Kira seek refuge in the Podling village (the Podlings raised Kira when her mother was killed by the Garthim). There's a party, but it doesn't last long as the Garthim crash the party. The capture several Podlings to be used as slaves at the castle. Jen and Kira narrowly escape into the forest.

The next morning, they find some ancient ruins of the Gelfling race. It is here the Jen sees the prophecy which says that only a Gelfling can heal the dark crystal and save the world. In fact, this prophecy is why the Skeksis wanted all the Gelflings dead. The two Gelflings come across the banished SkekSil, who has been spying on them for some time. He tries to tell them that he is their friend and wants to convince the other Skeksis that they can be friends. Jen and Kira obviously don't believe him (big surprise) and escape from him.

Jen, now knowing what he must do, vows to fulfill the prophecy. Is he successful? Watch and find out (but you probably knew I was going to say that by now).

Why It's Cool: For starters, this is a live action movie with no human actors. It's all puppets. The movie has dark overtone, but I like movies with dark tone. Despite supposedly being a "kids movie" it's pretty dark and there is constant talk of death. It can also be kinda scary at times. When I was a little kid, the Garthim gave me nightmares. The way the Emperor dies also used to scare me. Finally, Michael Kilgarriff does an awesome job at making SkekUng sound imposing.

What I Didn't Like: Not much to say here. My only complaint is that it gets to the point of the story just a little too quickly (you've already figured out Jen's goal within like the first 15 minutes) and there are times when it's obvious that Jen is a puppet.

Do I Recommend? If you like a good fantasy movie, then yes I recommend (as long as you don't try to compare it to LOTR). I also recommend if you like the works of Jim Henson (Muppets) or Frank Oz (Yoda, The Little Shop of Horrors). And even if you don't fall into either of those catagories, give is a go just for a chance to experience an imaginitive world.

--------------------
user posted image

"I am the Doctor and this is my spoon!" -The Doctor

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100...84908091&v=info
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Jan 25 2009, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Alright. This time, we're going to look at movie that's been met with mixed opinions.

Today's Review: Cloverfield
user posted image

Now, I'm not going to give a summary of the plot. One thing that I liked when I first saw this movie was that I could never predict what would happen next. If I tell you the plot, you'd be able to see everything coming and it wouldn't be interesting at all. So, on with my opinions.

Why It's Cool: I thought this movie was interesting. For a giant monster movie, it's pretty original. Rather than seeing the monster destroy the city like you would in a Godzilla or Gamera movie, you see everything through the eyes of one of the characters (or rather the camera he's carrying around). Because you only see what he sees, there's an even higher level of suspense (especially in the subway scene). We never really get a good look at the monster, but that's good and similar to what they did in Alien. Honestly, this movie does a good job of showing what the people caught in the monster's rampage go through. The monster itself has an interesting reason for causing all the damage (you don't find out any of this in the movie, so I'm not ruining anything here). It's just a newborn that's lost and terrified. What's scarier than a large, terrified animal?

What I Didn't Like: This movie has no real music soundtrack to it. I suppose that it's because this movie was meant to be like it really happened and you're some government type person watching that was found as evidence, but often times it's the music that makes monster movies cool. A lot of times I've found myself putting on a Godzilla movie just to hear the music. The camera work may make you a bit dizzy, so be perpared if you get motion sickness. Finally, the movie starts off rather slow and for a while, you'll probably think you're watching some kind of MTV show.

Do I Reccomend? Honestly, it depends on how open-minded you are. If you're looking for a movie that will answer all your questions, explains what's going on and has an ending where everthing is wrapped up in a satisfying way, this movie isn't for you. If you're looking for a monster movie that avoids most of the giant monster cliches and/or will have you jump when something happens, go for it. I'm leaving this one to your own judgement.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Jan 26 2009, 10:20 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Good recent reviews.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Thanks, Shaddie-chan. My loving sister.
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Feb 2 2009, 02:59 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

The time has come. I've been waiting a long time to do this and finally found the motivation to do so. Following in what Cinnemassacre did, I'm going to review the Godzilla series.

So, first up is: Godzila: King of the Monsters
user posted image

Summary: Now, I haven't seen the original version, so here's the U.S. version.

Reporter Steve Martin was on a trip to Tokyo to visit his friend, Dr. Serizawa. Little did he know what he was getting himself into. Below him, a ship is mysteriously destroyed. Apon arriving in Tokyo, he immediatly finds out the something is up. Ships are mysteriously disappearing near Oto Island (did I spell that right?) He goes to the island to interview the natives about the ships. They believe that it's an ancient sea demon called Godzilla. During the night, Godzilla attacks the village.

The next morning, Godzilla reappears. Dr. Yamane inspects the footprints left by Godzilla. He finds that they are radioactive. He tells the Japanese government about what happened. The government decides to send out some ships to destroy the monster with underwater charges. Yamane complains that Godzilla should've been studied, not destroyed. However, Godzilla appears in Tokyo bay. He comes ashore and wrecks a commuter train and causes severe damage.

Now knowing what they're up against, the military sets up a huge defense around Tokyo and waits for Godzilla. Godzilla doesn't dissapoint them. He comes back and pretty much totally demolishes the defenses and turns Tokyo into a fiery hell. The next morning, Martin and the other survivors are rushed to the hospital. At the hospital, Emiko Yamane reveals that Dr. Serizawa has an invention that might be able to kill Godzilla.

Serizawa is reluctant to use it since he believes that it's power is too terrible to be unleashed. Will Godzilla be stopped? Once again, watch for yourself.

Why It's Cool: What's not cool about this movie? Sure, it does follow a lot of the same cliches that most giant monster movies of the time did, but it did a good job job of making it look like a real disaster (the choir of girls). Plus, the low camera angles do a good job of making Godzilla look like he's really big. Raymon Burr does a good job as Steve Martin. Sure, he narrates most of the movie, but it's not really something to complain about.

What I Didn't Like: There's not much to complain about. If I must complain about something, there's only two things. One, it starts off a little slow, but most Godzilla start out a bit slow. Two, Serizawa's english dub sounds like they tried like five different people to dub him.

Do I Recommend? Do you really need to say? Of course I do! This is the start of grand legacy.

Next review: Godzilla Raids Again

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Cyber-Crash
 Posted: Feb 2 2009, 03:04 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Crash Fanatic
Member No.: 3

Nice review.

--------------------
user posted image
Thanks, Christy. user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Feb 2 2009, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

I love where this is going! biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Feb 3 2009, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Here it is, the next chapter in the Godzilla saga as well as the first movie of the Showa series (I don't count first one since technically it's part of all three series).

Today's Review: Godzilla Raids Again
user posted image

Summary: Whilst searching for schools of fish, a Japanese plane is forced to land on a remote island. I should probably tell you that I don't remember the names all that well and I don't feel like looking them up right now. Anyway, his buddy comes looking for him. Once they are united, they witness an event that would haunt their memories for the rest of their lives. Godzilla (it's never revealed whether or not it's the same Godzilla from the first movie) and a new creature fighting each other. They brawl briefly before tumbling into the sea.

The two pilots return to Japan to tell of what they saw. Dr Yamane shows some footage of Godzilla's attack from a year ago. He also concludes that Godzilla's opponent is Anguirus, a large, carnivorous breed of akylosaur. Being without Serizawa's oxygen destroyer, the Japanese government must find a new way to stop Godzilla. Somehow, they come to the conclusion that if they shut off all the lights in Osaka (the city used in this movie) and use some sort of flashbang, they can lure Godzilla away.

Godzilla appears in Osaka sometime later, during the night. They try out the light plan, which seems to be working until some prisoners escape and cause a huge fire. Godzilla is drawn towards the fire. However, Anguirus shows up as well and the two fight to the death, leveling Osaka in the process. Anguirus is killed and Godzilla leaves.

Months later he is found on a glacier and the military decides that now is the time to strike. Who will be the victor in the battle on the ice?

Why It's Cool: For starters, my copy of this movie is imported from Japan. I kid you not. It's not dubbed, it's subbed. Can you get much cooler? Anyway, this movie started two traditions for the Godzilla series. One, Godzilla fighting other monsters. Two, every time there's a pagoda in the movie, it always gets demolished. Anguirus is looks kinda cool in black and white.

What I Didn't Like: The grim tone of the first movie is gone. It's easy to tell that Toho had a lower budget on this one. Because of all the lights going out, it suffers the same problem that AVPR did (though it may just be my copy of the movie). Finally, the parts without the monster fights are pretty boring and are even more boring when you have to read subtitles to know what's going on.

Do I Recommend? While not as good as the first movie, it's still a good watch. I say give it a go.

Next up, Godzilla returns in full color with one of the most famous monsters ever.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Feb 4 2009, 01:47 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

And now, it's the King of the Monsters vs the 8th Wonder of the World.

Today's Review: King Kong vs Godzilla
user posted image

Summary: On the remote Faro Island, a type of berry has been found to have strong medicinal qualities. However, legend has it that they are offered up the island's mysterious god. In Japan, large icebergs have been drifting into the warmer waters and are begining to melt. A submarine has been sent to investigate. The crew notices that one of the icebergs is glowing with a strange blue light. The sub moves closer, only to beging sinking. A helicopter sees the the sub's distress signal. The glowing iceberg crumbles and out comes Godzilla.

Godzilla quickly makes his way to Japan. The army quickly mobilizes to stop him, but fails (big surprise). After Godzilla's attack, an expidition is sent to Faro Island to find the mysterious god. Whilst there, they meet the natives who claim that the berry juice is used as an offering to this god. During the night, the village is attack by a giant octopus. The octopus is quickly driven away by the god, who turns out to be King Kong. After Kong goes into a deep sleep, the expidition decides to take Kong back to Japan (it seemed like a good idea at the time).

Back in Japan, Godzilla is still at large (I'll never understand why anyone would use that statement). He destroys a train in Hokaido. Meanwhile, Kong wakes up, escapes from his raft and heads for Japan. It isn't long before the two meet for the first time. Godzilla is the clear victor of their first encounter. He sets the forest on fire and Kong retreats from the flames.

The military decides to use high voltage wires, thinking that Godzilla would stay away from electricity (which makes no sense being that Godzilla tore down the high voltage wires protecting Tokyo in the first movie). It works, but it doesn't stop Kong because somehow, electricity makes him stronger (his role was originally supposed to for Frankenstien). Kong plows right through the barricade and heads for Tokyo. Whilst there, he takes a woman hostage and climbs to the top of the capital building (I wonder where they got the idea for that one). The military uses missiles loaded with powder made from the berries and a recording of the natives (how they got it I'll never know) to put Kong to sleep. They then airlift him to Mt Fuji to face Godzilla in their final battle. Which of these two legendary giants will triumph? That's up to you to decide (the winner is up to the viewer's interpretation).

Why It's Cool: It's Godzilla and Kong facing off! What more need I say? Plus, it's the first time we see either of them in color!

What I Didn't Like: Not much to say here. Other than some minor problems regarding continuity and logic, I have no complaints.

Do I Recommend? Hell yeah! Check it out!

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Feb 4 2009, 11:16 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Good job with the reviews!

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
Love4Yumi
 Posted: Feb 5 2009, 02:19 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 34

I've never really seen how King Kong would stand a chance against Godzilla. Godzilla has remarkable durability & nuclear powers. Kong's just a giant monkey with raw strength.

Great review though.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Feb 5 2009, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Love4Yumi @ February 04, 2009 08:19 pm)
I've never really seen how King Kong would stand a chance against Godzilla. Godzilla has remarkable durability & nuclear powers. Kong's just a giant monkey with raw strength.

Great review though.

In the movie, they gave Kong the ability to use electricity to get stronger. That's because before Kong was added into the movie, Godzilla was supposed to fight Frankestein.

In the original movie though, the winner of the movie is a draw. Godzilla and Kong fall into the ocean and Kong appears to be swimming away (because in reality, gorillas cannot swim) while Godzilla is waiting at the bottem of the sea to fight.

In the American version, scenes are added where two news casters are documenting the fight. They make Godzilla look like an idiot by saying he has a brain the size of a marble (which is impossible because Godzilla appears to be very intelligent) and at the end, they make it apear as though Kong as won.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Feb 6 2009, 03:35 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

This next one is considered by fans to be one of the best of the Showa series, almost surpassing the first.

Today's Review: [U]Mothra vs Godzilla
user posted image

Summary: A massive storm hits Japan. Several seaside villages are destroyed in the process. The next morning, a large, rainbow egg is found on the beach. A bunch of corporate assholes immediately claim it in order to make a profit off of it. However, they are visited by the Shobijin. They politely ask the assholes to return the egg, but rather than giving the egg back, they try to capture the Shobijin.

The Shobijin next try the "heroes" of the movie (once again, I don't usually remember most of the human characters from Godzilla movies). They explain that the egg belongs to Mothra and that Mothra will pretty much unleash hell apon mankind if it isn't returned.

Things only go from bad to worse as Godzilla rises from the ground and goes on yet another rampage through Japan. The military tries several different plans to try to stop Godzilla. All of them fail miserably. The heroes go to Infant Island to try to convince the Shobijin to get Mothra to stop Godzilla.

Finally, Mothra flies to Japan and fights Godzilla. Mothra does her best, but is ultimately killed by Godzilla. As Godzilla continues his rampage, the egg hatches into twin Mothra larva. Now Godzilla and Mothra's offspring go head-to-head in the final battle. Who shall be the last standing?

Why It's Cool: This is the movie that established the fact that Godzilla is invincible. You can defeat him, but it's pretty much impossible to kill him. There have been only three things that have ever killed him (the Oxygen Destroyer, Super Mechagodzilla and a meltdown), but he finds a way to come back. The fact that Mothra is severely outmatched in this battle (a butterfly vs a giant, radioactive leviathan, that seems fair).

What I Didn't Like: My only complaint is that when they dubbed this movie, the voice actors tried to use an asian accent and it made it hard to understand what they're saying.(might as well just watch it subbed).

Do I Recommend? Yes. This is definately an awesome movie.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Cyber-Crash
 Posted: Feb 6 2009, 03:43 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Crash Fanatic
Member No.: 3

Great review.

--------------------
user posted image
Thanks, Christy. user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Feb 7 2009, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Agreed.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (46) 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins