Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (46) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> i_love_ami's Movie Reviews, Going from Video Games to Movies
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 17 2008, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Awards: None

I'm often told I'd make a good critic, even though I totally ignore what the critics say. I say that it's my opinion and no one has to agree with me. Anyway, I'm going to review movies now. Most of them, you've either never heard of, or never considered watching. I'm here to tell you what I think, so that maybe you'll give the movie a chance. Now, though I'll mostly review not-so-well-known titles, my first review is on a movie that is referenced alot and people know the reference even if they haven't seen this movie. It's the movie in which one of horror's most famous character makes his debut.

Today's Review: Alien

user posted image

Summary: Alien is one of the most famous icons of the horror genre. And there's little surprise to that. When I first saw this movie, it was a long time before I stopped watching every dark corner. For those of you who aren't familliar with this guy, here's what he looks like:
user posted image

He's about nine feet tall, drools a lot (and I do mean a lot), kills people on site, likes to hide in the air ducts, has concentrated acid for blood, has a second mouth that shoots out with enough velocity to puncture a human skull like an over ripe fruit and is gernerally unpleasant to be around.

In the movie, a team of miners are on their way back to Earth (I think) when they pick up a distress call from a nearby planet. They check out the planet, wich has some kind of derelict spacecraft crashed on it. While exploring the derelict, one of the crew members discovers a chamber full of eggs. One of the eggs hatches, and out comes some kind of parasite that attaches itself to his face, as pictured below:
user posted image

The crew member is brought aboard the ship. They attempt to remove the parasite, but to no avail. Eventually, the parasite falls off and dies. While celebrating the guy's full recovery, he starts spasming all over the table until a little creature bursts forth from his chest and runs away.
user posted image

With this little creature running around the ship. The crew goes after it. However, it grows up pretty quickly and starts killing them off one by one. How do they get rid of the alien? I'm not going to spoil the end, so you'll have to see it to find out.

Why this movie is cool: For a movie full of visuals that are out-dated by today's standards, it's still scary. What's not scary about being trapped on this dark ship in the middle of nowhere whilst this alien is hiding in the air ducts killing anything that crosses it's path? To make it even scarier, we never really see the whole monster till the end of the movie, in order to highten the terror factor. Sure, that first picture may not seem that scary, but when it randomly pops out of an airduct to snatch up some unsuspecting victim, it kinda makes you jump. The level of suspense also adds to the terror factor. Plus, for those of you who have never seen it, you'll be surprised to find out who's the hero in the end.

What i didn't like: The title is way to long. Plus, until they actually land on the planet, there's nothing going on in the beginning. In fact, I wouldn't blame you if you fast forward to the planet. Other than that, I have no complaints about this movie.

Do I Recomend? Yes. Especially if you are looking for a scary movie that doesn't have so gore that it becomes more discusting than scary and from what I hear, that's a problem that most of today's horror movies suffer from. Normally, I don't care for the horror genre, but this a movie where I'll make an exception to that. So if you haven't seen this movie, you definately should.

--------------------
user posted image

"I am the Doctor and this is my spoon!" -The Doctor

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100...84908091&v=info
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 18 2008, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Well, I reviewed the first movie, so here's the sequel.

Today's Review: Aliens
user posted image

Summary: Building our favorite xenomorph's (no really, that is the name for his species) fame comes the next chapter in the series. 75 years after the first movie, Ripley (if you still haven't seen the first one, I just kinda ruined it a bit) is still floating in space. She is found and after getting over the shock of her daughter's death and how much time has passed, she tells of the incident involving the xenomorph. However, since no evidence of the xenomorph's existance could be found, she is charged with destroying a very expensive space ship.

However, Ripley is still plagued by nightmares of the xenomorph. What's worse is that a colony had be set up on the planet where they found the xenomorph (yes, bad). All contact with the colony has been lost (bet ya can't guesse why). A representative of Weyland-Yutani Co. (known as "The Company") is asking if she'll assist the Colonial Marines (that's right, we're that badass) that are going in to find out what's going on. Ripley agrees and the mission is on.

Now the marines are pretty confident that they'll win this no problem (yes, we are cocky b*st*rds). However, once the marines make contact with the xenomorphs (now there's more than one, hence why the title is plural), they get their asses kicked (uber pwnage!). In an attempt to flee the planet and nuke it from orbit, Ripley, the representative, a little girl that somehow survied all of this and the remaining Marines become stranded on the planet (an alien stuck onboard the dropship and killed the crew). They must rely on the android Bishop (and Ripley had a bad experience with an android in the first movie) to remotely pilot the spare dropship. Can the survivors stay alive long enough? Watch the movie to find out!

Why It's Cool: While not a scary as the first movie, it makes up for that with big guns and some awesome combat scenes. Also, we find out where all the xenomorph eggs came from. The alien queen makes her debut in this movie. She's pictured below:
user posted image

What I didn't Like: There isn't much I didn't like about this movie. My only complaint could be the moments between battles are long and kinda boring.

Do I Recomend? Hell yes! This one was just as good as the first one if not better! A must see for anyone who's seen Alien.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Cyber-Crash
 Posted: Dec 18 2008, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Crash Fanatic
Member No.: 3

Nice review on the games.

--------------------
user posted image
Thanks, Christy. user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 19 2008, 02:29 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Okay, you may have figured by now that I'm going through the whole Alien series. However, if you've already seen the first two, that might be a good place to stop cuz this next one ain't that great.

Today's Review: Alien 3
user posted image

Summary: In a totally unnessary continuation of the Alien series, Ripley, the remains of Bishop (he gets pretty messed up in the end of Aliens), the little girl and Hicks (the only surviving Marine) are jetisoned from the Sulaco (the ship from the previous movie) and land on a world with a massive prison on it. It is discovered that only Ripley survived the crash (the little girl dies?! WTF?!). She's been taken in as an inmate until "The Company" can come back for her. However, it turns out that Ripley wasn't the only survivor. A lone facehugger crawls out of the escape pod and attaches itself to a dog.

Whilst a funeral is being held for Hicks and the girl, a xenomorph bursts from the dog and starts killing inmates. The rest of the movie is pretty much Ripley and the remaining inmates' attempts to kill it. However, Ripley discovers that she has an alien queen embryo inside of her.

Why It's Cool: There's not much that's really cool about this one. Honestly, this one kinda seems like a rip-off of the first movie. The CG alien looked horrible most of the time.

What I Didn't Like: Pretty much the whole movie.

Do I Recoment? Not really. If you are the kind of person who needs to see all the movies of a series, then check it out. If not, then don't bother. There's nothing new about this movie.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 19 2008, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Now, onto the final movie of the Alien series (if you don't count AVP and AVPR).

Today's Review: Alien Resurrection
user posted image

Summary: Okay, this one wasn't as bad as the previous movie, it still doesn't compare to the first two. 200 years after Alien 3, Ripley is cloned so that "The Company" (who has sent several agents to do this over the course of the series) finally has a living xenomorph. They took the queen out of the cloned Ripley. Anyway, a team of mercenaries bring in some "human cargo" so that the the xenomorphs could breed. However, eventually the xenomorphs break loose and start stirring up sh*t all over the ship. I think you can probably piece together the rest for yourself.

There are a couple of twists, such as the Winona Rider's character being an android and the queen giving birth to a live offspring (called the Newborn).

Why It's Cool: Well, it does the the transition between CG aliens and guys in a suit pretty well. The overall tone of the movie is very dark. And even though it's kinda dumb, this movie does introduce something new, the Newborn:
user posted image

Plus, when you see how horrific the previous Ripley clones are (her DNA combining with the queen's DNA), it's kinda creepy.

What I Didn't Like: The Newborn. I used to have nightmares about him, but now that I've seen the picture above, I think, "I was scared of that?" Also, the gore is so over-done that it makes the movie more gross than scary.

Do I Recomend it? Only if you've taken the time to watch Alien 3 (you might as well see the rest of the story). If you haven't seen the third movie, than don't bother. This movie isn't anything special really.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Dec 20 2008, 12:57 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Keep up the good reviews.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Thanks, Shaddie-chan. My loving sister.
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 21 2008, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Now, it's been forever since I saw this next movie, so my summary of the movie may be a bit... abridged. Anyway, now that we know Alien, it's time to meat his equally-imfamous archenemy.

Today's Review: Predator
user posted image

Summary: Leaving behind the dark and deadly future, we head for the present time, in the jungles of South America. A team of commandos (I think that's what they are) are sent in to rescue civilian hostages that were captured by the bad guy (I don't really know what "faction" they were). There have also been reports of a guerilla warrior roaming the same jungle. The team quickly finds evidence of the "guerilla warrior" in the form of skinned human bodies hanging from the trees.

Eventually, the team finds the enemy camp. They are too late to rescue the male hostage (who gets his brains blown out), but after a violent scene of violence, the team rescues the female hostage (who doesn't speak a word of english). However, someone has been watching our heroes the whole time.

As the team makes its way to the extraction point, one of the commandos is alone with the girl (I don't remember if she tried to run away or if he was trying to rape her) when suddenly something blows his chest apart with a laser blast. The rest of the team finds the dead commando and the girl covered in his blood. At first they blame her, but she claims "The jungle came alive and killed him" (or something along those lines). They don't believe her until they see a pair of green eyes in the jungle and shoot at it.

Realizing that they are being hunted, the team makes it's way to the extraction point with haste. However, the "hunter" starts killing them off one by one until just the girl and the team leader, Dutch (played by Arnold Schwartzenager) are left. Dutch gets the girl on a helicoptor and waits for the hunter.

The wait is short and Dutch ends up going one-on-one with the hunter. So, who wins in the fight between an intergalactic super hunter and the "Governator"? See the movie to find out.

Why It's Cool: You have Arnold facing off against some hunter from another planet, who is armed with a laser gun and wrist blades. What's not cool about that? Plus, up until the Predator makes his appearence, you'd never guesse that you were watching a Sci-fi movie.

What I Didn't Like: Why is Predator considered to be a horror icon? There's nothing really scary about him. He only kills people if they're armed, uninjured in any way and if they pose a threat to him (in other words, worthy targets) unlike Alien, who doesn't give a rat's ass who he kills. Plus, the whole honor thing isn't a trait for horror villains. I'd consider him more badass than scary. Also, it's kinda slow at the start.

Do I Recomend? Yes. Though he's not even close to being as scary as Alien, he's still badass and this movie is great, whether you've seen Alien or not.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Dec 21 2008, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Great review!

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 22 2008, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

I was going to review Predator 2, but it’s been way too long since I saw the movie (plus it was on TV, so it was edited) so I don’t remember enough of it to be able to give enough of a review to help you decide if you’d want to see this one. So, onto another movie. A movie that has brought two of sci-fi’s greatest characters together for the first time (not counting several video games and countless comics).

Today's Review: Alien vs Predator
user posted image

Summary: A strange energy source has been detected in Antarctica. Weyland Industries (sound familiar?) has done some deatailed readings to discover that the energy source is a pyramid deep beneath the ice. Bishop Weyland gathers a team of the best people that he can to investigate the pyramid.

Meanwhile, a mysterious ship approaches Earth. It fires a laser beam towards the direction of the pyramid. When the team reaches Antarctica, they arrive at an old whaling camp and find that a tunnel has already been dug to the pyramid (coincidence?) They begin their journey down the tunnel, leaving behind a few people to guard the entrance (from what?). Soon enough, the ship passes by, dropping off three drop pods. Guesse who comes out? The sentries are quickly killed by a team of Predators.

Down in the pyramid, the team finds a sacrificial chamber with ancient bodies in it. The first thing the team discovers about the bodies is that their ribcages are broken open, as if something forced its way out (I wonder what). Leaving some sentries in the chamber the team heads deeper into the pyramid, finding a sarcouphagous (I doubt I spelled that right) with weird devices in it.

However, opening the... s-word above activates the pyramid. In a chamber deep below, an Alien queen is thawed out and begins laying eggs. The eggs are sent up to the sacrificial chamber (do I really need to tell what happens to those sentries?). The Predators arive as the pryramid begins to re-configure itself, scattering the team, several of which are killed or captured by Aliens. As the survivors begin looking for a way out, they encounter the team of Predators, one of which is killed by an Alien. Who will win this three-way free-for-all? You know what I'm gonna say for an answer already.

Why It's Cool: We finally get to see Aliens and Predators on the same screen at the same time. We've been watching them duke it out in comics and video games for a long time, so it's cool to see them fight on the big screem (yes, I saw it in theaters). The Predators get some awesome visual upgrades to their weapons and the Alien Queen has never looked better (in Aliens, you could tell she was just a big animatronic puppet and she was barely in Alien Resurection). Plus, it gives an explanation as to why the Predators keep coming to Earth. Oh, and the famous "You are one ugly mother (beep)-er!" is in there.

What I Didn't Like: For most of the scenes, the Aliens were in CG and you tell it was CG. It wasn't exactly the brawl we were hoping for. There were only three Predators and maybe 20 Aliens at the most. The trailer made it seem like there would be like a hundred Predators and maybe thousands of Aliens. Also, why do they keep calling the Aliens "serpents"? They look nothing like snakes. And, they dumbed down the gore so the movie would get a PG-13 rating.

Do I Recomend? The movie's good. It's not awesome, but's it's not horrible either. Give it a watch and decide for yourself.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Dec 22 2008, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Great review.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 22 2008, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Alright, if you haven't figured out what movie I'm reviewing next, then you have dropped below my brother on the inteligence ladder (yes, my brother is one of the biggest morons on Earth).

Today's Review: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
user posted image

Summary: Picking up where AVP left off, an Alien/Predator hybrid (Predalien) is running amok on the Predator ship, causing to crash in the woods near a small town. The Predalien and several facehuggers that were taken as test subjects break free. A father and his son are out hunting when the ship crashes and both are attacked by facehuggers.

News of this reaches the Predator homeworld where a veteran Predator (dubbed Wolf) gathers his gear and heads for Earth to deal with the Aliens. The Aliens then attack some homeless people living in a sewer. Wolf tracks them down and pretty much starts blasting at them with his shoulder cannons. During the fight, the Aliens break loose to the surface and start attacking the townspeople.

Wolf tracks the Aliens to a powerplant and starts blasting at them, ultimately causing a power outage. During the confusion, the Predalien breaks into a local hospital, demonstrating that he also is an Alien Queen, by implanting embryos into the pregnant women. With time running out for the few survivors in the town, they head for the hospital in hopes of escaping by helicoptor. Wolf finds his way to the hospital for a showdown with the Predalien. Who shall survive?

Why It's Cool: Once again, we get to see Alien and Predator go head-to-head, but this time it's only one Predator and countless Aliens, plus the Predalien. The fist fight between Wolf and the Predalien was pretty cool. The Predalien was pretty much the ultimate Alien. Sure, he was ugly as hell, but he was stronger than regualar Aliens and he could make Aliens without eggs or facehuggers. He would just force them down people's throats with his second mouth. Plus, unlike the first one, this movie gets right into the action from the beginning. Oh, and it brought the gore back. Once again, this movie makes it seem like a prequel to the original Alien movies because of a character at the very end named Ms. Yutani.

What I Didn't Like: Because Wolf knocked the power out, most of the movie was too dark to tell what was going on (though that might've been because I was watching it on my laptop). Also, you never really get a good look at the Predalien in the movie. I only know that he's ugly as sin because of pics I saw on Google. The ending sucked, big time.

Do I recomend? Only if you really need to see every movie in the Alien/Predator universe. Otherwise, AVP was better in my opinion.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 27 2008, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

With this next review, we’re leaving the grim universe of Alien/Predator. Enough about xenomorphs that gestate inside a human chest cavity and super hunters that skin their victims and hang them by their ankles. We’re going into a world of ninjas, jewel thieves, wrestlers and an evil scientist who decides to make a some money off of stealing their fighting abilities.

Today’s Review: DOA: Dead or Alive
user posted image
From left to right: Helena, Tina, Christie, Kasumi, Ayane

Summary: Kasumi’s older brother Hayate is dead, so says most of the clan. Kasumi, however, refuses to believe this and decides to go looking for him. But, if she goes looking for him, she’ll be declared an outcast and Ayane will be honor-bound to find and kill her. Despite this, Kasumi leaves anyway. After making her escape, she receives a shuriken with an invitation to DOA. Elsewhere, Tina Armstrong is enjoying a cruise on her yacht when all of a sudden, pirates attack. What does she do? She beats the living crap out of them. After dispensing the pirates, she receives a shuriken identical to Kasumi’s. In Hong Kong, Christie is hiding out at a hotel when the police show up. Apparently someone (Max) tipped them off about Christie’s latest heist. Using her quick wit, she manages to escape the police and escape on a motorcycle. Do I really need to say that she gets one of those shurikens as well?

On a plane to DOA Island (convenient name?), Kasumi finds out that Hayabusa has been following her in order to protect her. Tina’s over-protective father, Bass Armstrong, has also been invited to the tournament. On the plane, we also meet Helena Douglas (via the TV on the plane), Zack (who’s hitting on Tina), Max (a character created for the movie) and some easily recognizable background fillers (Lei Fang and Gen Fu). Anyway, the contestants have to bail out of the plane and reach the compound before sundown or they’re disqualified. Kasumi, Tina and Christie end up having to work together to get to the compound. Once they reach the compound, all of the fighters meet their host, Dr. Victor Donovan (the unseen villain in the game), are briefed on the rules of the tournament and have nanobots injected into their bloodstream.

As the first round progresses, Kasumi asks Donovan what happened to Hayate in the previous DOA tournament. According to Donovan, Hayate fell to his death in a fight against Leon. Later that night, Ayane attacks Kasumi in her room. However, Leon shows up as Kasumi’s Round 1 opponent. Ayane flees as Kasumi and Leon begin their match. During the fight, Kasumi realizes that there’s no way that Hayate could’ve lost to Leon.

Meanwhile, Christie and Max begin to plot stealing the money from a vault hidden behind a giant Buddha head on the island. However, they need to study the tattoos on Helena in order to figure out how to find the vault. However, the tournament’s computer geek, Weatherby (a movie-exclusive character, who is often called Wallaby by the other characters) is trying to ask Helena out on a date. Zack comes back to hit on Tina again, which somehow ends up as Kasumi and Tina playing against Christie and Helena in a game of volleyball (guesse which DOA game that’s a reference to).

While the girls are playing on the beach, Hayabusa goes to investigate the compound to see what he can find out about Hayate. He’s captured by security (which would never happen to the “real” Hayabusa). Back at the beach, the volleyball is popped by a shuriken. Kasumi heads off into the bamboo forest for another fight against Ayane. Kasumi almost has her beat, but Ayane leaves as soon as the others come looking for Kasumi.

Later on, Tina kicks Zack’s ass and Christie defeats Helena, bringing the tournament down to just Kasumi, Tina, Christie and Hayabusa. It’s around this time that the girls realize that Hayabusa has been missing for some time now. They go looking for him, only to wander into a trap. While Weatherby is trying to cheer Helena up, Donovan orders security to “deal with” Helena. Helena begins to realize that Donovan was the one who had her father, Fame Douglass, killed. As all of this is unfolding, Max goes after the Buddha head.

As our heroes awake, Donovan reveals his evil plot to them. He also reveals that Hayate is still alive and had actually won the previous tournament. Now, it’s a race against time to stop Donovan before his evil plans succeed.

Why It’s Cool: Most video game-based movies usually don’t work too well. Either they follow the plot of the game so closely that everything else about the movie sucks or they re-invent the plot entirely (which means the video game’s title is only on the movie for marketing). DOA: Dead or Alive manages to keep enough of the plot from the game so that fans will recognize it while at the same time changing a few things to make it work for a movie. The fight scenes are wonderfully done by Cory Yuen, which means that everything within the immediate area is somehow added to the fight in one way or another. Also, seeing as I’ve never seen Donovan in the game (though I think we briefly see him as Hayabusa shoots down his airship in the end of DOA4), I was wondering how they would portray him in the movie. I don’t know the actor’s name, but he did an awesome job at playing Donovan. Also, the movie versions of Zack, Bass (Kevin Nash), Gen Fu, Leon and Brad Wong (even though we only see him briefly) are almost identical to their video game counterparts. Max and Weatherby, though not in the game, fit in the DOA cast almost perfectly. The funny parts are guaranteed to make you laugh.

What I Didn’t Like: Now, I could fill this part with everything they changed, but to save on time and bandwidth I’ll only mention the major stuff. One, in the movie, Kasumi and Ayane aren’t half-sisters. Instead, Ayane is one of Kasumi’s guards. Next, in the game, Helena is a high-class, French Opera singer with no interest in her father whereas in the movie, she’s portrayed kinda like an American teenager who seems to give a rat’s ass what happened to Fame Douglass. Next, Kasumi, Tina, Lei Fang and Zack are the only characters to be in every DOA game (so far), so how come Lei Fang is just a background filler who gets her ass kicked by Gen Fu in the first round of the tournament? Why couldn’t she be one of the heroes instead of Christie (who wasn’t in the game till DOA3)? There are actually two Hitomis in the movie. You have some guy in yellow suit and the “real” Hitomi (you will only see her if you look closely during the scene where the fighters are being introduced to Donovan). Finally, this is Hayabusa in the movie:
user posted image
Here is the “real” Ryu Hayabusa:
user posted image
Need I say more?

Do I Recommend? Yes. You don’t have to be a DOA fan or even have ever played the game to enjoy this movie. I definitely recommend if you like martial arts movies.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Dec 27 2008, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Nice reviews!

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
i_love_ami
 Posted: Dec 30 2008, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

As you'll learn from reading my Chris Comix comics, you'll learn that I have a sizeable collection of Bionicle figures. Why you ask? I saw how cool the original characters looked in Lego Magazine, read quite a few of the comics and here I am now. I use them for my cast cuz unlike other types of figures, they're articulated and I can mutilate/dismember them without any extensive Photoshop work like Shin-Goji does. Getting back on track, here's my next review.

Today's Review: Bionicle: The Mask of Light
user posted image

Summary: First of all, I'm going to give you the backstory because, if you don't know it, you'll be so lost if you see this movie.

In the "Time Before Time", the Great Spirit, Mata Nui, created the Matoran and enlightened them with the three virtues, Unity, Duty and Destiny. However, Mata Nui's brother, Makuta, put Mata Nui into a deep sleep and put the Island of Mata Nui into a shroud of darkness.

However, six mysterious canisters appeared on the beaches one day. From these canisters came the Toa Mata (as they're known as now). Tahu (Toa of fire), Gali (Toa of Water), Onua (Toa of earth), Pohatu (Toa of stone), Lewa (Toa of air) and Kopaka (Toa of Ice). The Toa were the heroes of the Matoran. They fought against the Rahi that were possessed by Makuta, the Bohrok swarms, the Bohrok-Kal (any of this sound familiar?). With the defeat of the Bohrok-Kal, the island was at peace... for the time being...

Now, onto the movie. The movie begins with the Takoro guard captain, Jalla, looking for his friend Takua, the Chronicler. He finds Takua at the lava falls, deep within the mountain Takoro is built. Takua is investigating a totem that falls into the lava when he removes it from it's pedistle (I doubt I spelled that right). However, a glowing, golden mask (masks are what Toa, Turaga and Matoran wear as faces, so to speak; some Rahi have them; Toa can gain powers from them) emerges from the lava. Takua retrieves it quickly and tries to get back across the lava to Jalla, but the lava flow quickly increases. Takua is saved by a timely intervention from Tahu. Takua and Jalla tell Tahu about the mask, but he tells them to take it to Turaga Vakama after the big Kohli match.
user posted image

Jalla and Takua go to the stadium to compete against the Pokoro team (Hewki and Hafu) and the Gakoro team (Hahli and Maku). It is here that we find out that Tahu and Gali haven't getting along so well lately. Pohatu tries to tell them to kick back and enjoy the game, but to no avail. The Turaga at the game (Vakama, Nokama and Onewa) comment on their fighting, saying "The Toa squabble like gukko birds over a berry". Anyway, the game begins. The game lasts for a while (being as the movie skips to night time). In the final moments of the game, Takua tries a new move. However, he misses the goal, badly (and nearly takes off Vakama's head). Hahli scores the goal that wins the game for Gakoro. When the players give a bow to the audience, the golden mask falls out of Jalla's pack.

Later, all the Matoran are gathered around as Nokama translates the ancient writing on the mask. She reveals that it is the Mask of Light (who would've guessed) and that it is to be worn only by a seventh Toa. The seventh Toa, the Toa of Light, will be the one to finally save Mata Nui from Makuta. However, unlike the original six Toa, the new one won't just appear. He has to be found. Jalla is named the Herald of the Seventh Toa and Takua "volunteers" to accompany him.

As Jalla and Takua begin their quest, Makuta begins to plot against them. He unleashes his sons, the Rahkshi. Guurahk (his staff can destroy stuff by touching it), Panrahk (same as Guurahk's staff, but at long range) and Lerahk (his staff poisons whatever it touches) make their way to the surface and emerge at a shrine where Gali is meditating. She escapes their attack and heads back to Takoro to warn everyone about the Rahkshi. She and Tahu attempt to fight them off, but to no avail. Tahu is scratched by Lerahk's staff, which causes him to start to alienate his allies. Finally, Tahu, Vakama and the Matoran escape Takoro. Vakama explains that the Rahkshi are seekers, after the Mask of Light.
user posted image

Meanwhile, Jalla and Takua reach the jungle and are aided by Lewa to get to the top of the mountain, where the enter the snowy domain of Kopaka. It is there that the Rahkshi catch up with them. In a short battle, Kopaka freezes the Rahkshi. Jalla and Takua continue to follow the mask's "directions" to Onukoro. They get separated and Takua ends up being taunted by Makuta. After this brief encounter, Jalla decides that he wants out. He and Jalla go their separate ways.

Takua finds himself at Onukoro, where Pohatu is telling Onua and the Onumatoran about the mask and of Jalla and Takua's quest. When Takua tells of what happened, new Rahkshi show up to crash the party. Now it's Turahk (his staff causes fear in whoever it touches), Vorahk (his staff drains the energy from it's victims) and Kurahk (his staff turns people against each other) that they have to deal with. Luckly, Tahu, Gali, Lewa and Kopaka have arrived to help. However, Tahu is hit by a blast from Kurahk's staff. He immediatly turns against Gali and attacks her until Kopaka freezes him. Onua uses some kind of earthquake attack to bury the Rahkshi, prompting one of the funnier lines in the movie:
Pohatu: Nice job brother! But how did you keep the ceiling from falling on us too?! (the ceiling begins to cave in)

Gali, Lewa and Kopaka bring Tahu to safety in an attempt to save him from the damage the Rahkshi have done to him. Kopaka disappears as Gali is worried that the Toa are losing their Unity. After much worrying, he comes to, as his old self again.

Meanwhile, Jalla and Takua have reunited and the mask has led them to Kini Nui (a sacred place on the island). It is there that they find themselves surrounded by all six Rahkshi. Just as they believe they are doomed, the Toa show up to save them (turns out that Kopaka went back to help Onua and Pohatu). I'm not going much farther than this because to tell you where they find the Toa of Light would really ruin the huge plot twist.

Why It's Cool: Before it came out, I commented on how popular Bionicle was becoming. There were books, board games, video games, the comics, the figures, clothing (shirts, hats, even shoes), so I figured it wouldn't be long before a movie would come out. For a fan like me who had read all the comics preceding the movie, this was cool. I was finally going to see how the Toa were going to finally end Makuta's reign of shadow. Plus, I would get to see the Rahkshi (who to this day remain my favorite Bionicle characters) in action. Also, the location of the Seventh Toa is so unbelievable, you'll rewind the part to be sure it really just happened.

What I Didn't Like: If you don't know the backstory (see beginning of post), you will be so lost. Some the animating is a bit... unimpressive at a lot parts (like when Kopaka splits his double-bladed sword to use as skis to escape the Rahkshi). The voice acting is rather dull and some of the characters lose the personalities they had in the comic (in fact, I think only Gali and Kopaka's personalities remain unchanged).

Do I Recommend? Yes. Despite being set at the end of the Toa Mata storyline, it's not a bad movie. You'll see through the flaws quickly. It's not the best intro to the Bionicle Universe, but it's still enjoyable.

--------------------
user posted image

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Dec 30 2008, 10:14 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

I saw this movie. I really liked it!

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (46) 1 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins