> So why DO you guys love this show so much? :P
Kaseykockroach
 Posted: Jul 16 2012, 10:38 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Awards: None

Is it simply out of being fans of the band, or am I missing something?
Don't take this the wrong way (if I truly hated it, I wouldn't still be hangin' here tongue.gif), but let's face it, the show was a 30-minute commercial for the band. They wanted to popularize themselves in America, so they got Cartoon Network to put out wacky, Saturday morning adventures starring fictional versions of the two, which is pretty much a practice made infamous by Filmation (the whole "Putting out cheap shows based on popular toys and whatnot"). Little things like how, of course, the fictional incarnation of the band being hugely popular with rabid fans constantly pursuing them (which is basically the group patting themselves on the back) makes it all the more amusing.
To add to the whole "Filmation" aspect, there's the fact that you were handed such classic storylines as "The girls save a farm! It's a Wonderful Life parody!" and other stock, hackneyed ideas pulled out of the drawer, being played painfully straight no less.
With all the facts and frankness out of the way, now let's cut to the chase. I used to own every episode of the show on DVD (from TV recordings), until I grew older and went through an all-too-typical "I can't believe I watched this trash as a kid" phase, giving the discs away to a friend of mine and moving on to better shows that I was ashamed I didn't discover (or rediscover) earlier. Recently however, I was shocked to find myself in a HHPAY mood again for the first time in awhile (mainly having the songs stuck in my head), and have grown to miss those discs I gave away. And I think that's because, all my cynicism aside, the show really is one of those things where (for me) it's so harmlessly bland, devoid of life and feeling, yet is so bright, colorful and cheerful, it's the perfect pallet cleanser. And sometimes, we need just that. The band's also grown on me (I used to be unable to stomach that type of music). -shrugs-
There's also the fact that I had a huge crush on Yumi (and Grey DeLisle) during my younger years, but I'd rather not go too deep into that. tongue.gif

--------------------
Closetshipper.deviantart.com

user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
^
ArthurEngine
 Posted: Jul 16 2012, 11:10 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 160

I couldn't really tell. Well, maybe some of us love this show maybe because either the characters are likable, or maybe it reminds us of classic cartoons.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
Oh, Banana!
user posted image
PM
^
Zillaman
 Posted: Jul 17 2012, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9

Because it helped get me through middle school depression.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Thanks, Shaddie-chan. My loving sister.
PM
^
Kaseykockroach
 Posted: Jul 17 2012, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Curious on that story, Zillaman. smile.gif

This show was probably fun to work on if you were an art director, though. All I see is designs taking attention away from the cliche stories. It's like the people making the show mixed anime and Japanese cliches with things they actually liked, and the result is an American show trying too hard to be anime.
Like, they don't understand the Japanese aspect of the show, and try to cover it up with stories and cliches they already know about.
Which is okay, though. The show's just a mindless, visually-pleasing time waster. And we all need that once in awhile when life's getting you down and you need something bright, colorful yet flavorless.

--------------------
Closetshipper.deviantart.com

user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
^
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42
 Posted: Dec 25 2013, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I watch it because PUFFY is one of my favorite bands.

QUOTE (Kaseykockroach @ Jul 16 2012, 02:38 PM)

They wanted to popularize themselves in America, so they got Cartoon Network to put out wacky, Saturday morning adventures starring fictional versions of the two, which is pretty much a practice made infamous by Filmation (the whole "Putting out cheap shows based on popular toys and whatnot").

Technically, Sam Register is the one who wanted to make them popular in America.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
The G-man
 Posted: Jan 3 2014, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

For some reason during my childhood, I had a deep fondness for the show. Something about it hooked me for a good long time, and for a while, I hated CN for bringing it down for unknown reasons (at least to me). CN is looking great now, but it won't compare to the 04-06 era that I had grown up on. As for HHPAY, it was just a wacky, colorful show that had a unique flash artstyle. Some of the episodes, however, may have some cheesy jokes and the usual cartoon inconsistencies, but I still like it to this day. Now, if only they'd release more of it on DVD, Blu-ray, Netflix, or, even better, air it on Boomerang.

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo
^
Jetblackheartgirl92
 Posted: Jan 3 2014, 06:20 AM
Quote Post

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13

I liked it for the characters(Yumi was my fav for the longest time) and the music. I had Yumi(real as well) as an huge role model as a kid and always wanted to be like her(I quoted and acted as her and had my yumi figure go every where with me).I learned so much about Japan thanks to the music from the band itself.

--------------------
user posted image
Staaay fresh!-calie and Marie,splatoon

user posted image
"You mess with me your playing with fire! I'm Glitter Sunny!"-Kelesy glitter sunny from Glitter Force
user posted image
"Cool, swift as the winter wind. I'm glitter breeze!"- chloe/glitter breeze from glitter force
user posted image
Some of my favorite glitter sunny Japanese songs ever
One for all http://christylovesmikey92.tumblr.com/post...l-smile-precure
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin made by Kman of Kskins